Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Billboard Film & TV Music Conference

It was with some trepidation that Dan and I packed an overnight bag and headed into the Sofitel Hotel for the Billboard Film and TV Music Conference... What to bloody wear? Would we know anyone? Would I feel "like a shag on a rock" !? (That's Australian for "out of place and feeling like an idiot" lol!) I took a deep breath and walked into the crowded lobby sporting my unassuming little laminate that read, "Fiona Kernaghan Music"... Yep, that's us! Before I knew it I was comfortably carried along on the good vibes generated by the eclectic and friendly creatives who'd coughed up plenty of green to be there with an ear to the ground an eye on the future. The overall mood was really positive and pro active. The first panel I listened to included composer Marc Streitenfeld talking about his relationship with director, Ridley Scott. We got the inside goss on Marc's process and checked out samples of his incredible work in films like "A Very Good Year" and "Body Of Lies" (both with Russell Crowe). That was incredibly inspiring! And it set the tone for the rest of the 2 day conference. I was inspired, enlightened and... had a lot of fun. Dan and I ran into a few friends including Jewel Coburn of 10/10 Music in Nashville, rising star composer Kristin Baum and the irrepressible Charlyn Bernal from LA's Ascap office. Here's a pic of us in the green room right before Diane Warren accepted her Billboard Career Achievement Award...


Me and the editors of Billboard magazine - Bill Werde was great!

Daniel Kresco, Charlyn Bernal, me and Brendan Okrent.

No comments: