Saturday, October 27, 2007

Giant Faerie Towers & my first review!

I'm sitting here at our dining table listening to my husband, Dan, working on a mix in the office cum studio down the hall... It sounds good. It's a track for rock guitarist and singer, Troy MacCubbin, from LA. He has been playing lead guitar on tour all over the world with Russian popsters, T.A.T.U now he's working on a solo project.
It's a nice summer ish night here in QLD Australia. There's a big full moon outside and all the windows are open so I can hear the neighbours having some kind of dinner party or BBQ downstairs. We went for a walk on the beach late this evening. Only my second in the 4 months I've been here! Tragic! The lights of the Surfers Paradise skyline looked gorgeous, like giant Faerie towers at the oceans edge in the twilight.
I've been busy organizing my next trip to Sydney. I hope to catch up with some old friends while I'm there and meet some folks at radio stations, too. Maybe they'll have added "You Can Call Me "Baby" " to their play lists by the time I'm there?! That would be awesome! I'll be playing three gigs on this next trip. Friday night the 16th in Rozelle, Saturday the 17th in Parramatta and Sunday the 18th in Balmain.
Meanwhile, I'm really pleased that "Shadow Wine and Truth Lilies" received its first review! I'll cut and past it below if you're curious... i love how he called it "grown up pop"!

FIONA KERNAGHAN
SHADOW WINE and TRUTH LILIES (Red Rebel/MGM)
U.S based Kernaghan, the quiet achiever of the Oz country music clan, has spent much of her career as a songwriter for hire. This, her second album of grown up pop - high on melody and insight and light on twang and utes - is more personal than a tattoo: Secrets Of The Flesh has an epic emotional flow that wouldn't have been lost on Sheryl Crow's great Globe Sessions.

Jeff Apter.
The Sydney Morning Herald Metro.

1 comment:

Sean McManus said...

Congratulations on getting your first review. It's a good omen for all the future ones!

I saw Tatu live a couple of years back. They only did a couple of songs (it was a Trevor Horn tribute gig), but I was really impressed - they completely owned the arena and showed up many more experienced performers with their charisma. Their first album was great too, albeit a bit short before it slipped into remixes at the end. so Troy has a great pedigree!